Minoru Hirai: “How Aikido got its name!”
“Mr. Hisatomi argued for his proposal energetically and explained that ‘Aikido’ would be a better name than ‘Aiki Budo’ for this new section, because it would be better to stress the idea of ‘michi’ or Way…”
Aikido Journal Number 100, 1994
● Editorial – Aikido: A Legacy from the Past, a Vision for the Future, by Stanley Pranin
● Aikido Journal News
● Letters to the Editor
● Interview with Minoru Hirai, by Stanley Pranin
● Aiki is not Always Pretty, by Ellis Amdur
● Interview with Takefumi Takeno (1), by Stanley Pranin
● Coping in a Violent World, by Mike Mello
● The Omoto Religion and Aikido, by Yasuaki Deguchi
● Takemusu Aikido — Shomenuchi sankyo omotewaza, by Morihiro Saito
● Kobudo & Kobujutsu, by Meik Skoss
● Morihei Ueshiba & Gozo Shioda, by Stanley Pranin
● Interview with Mark Jones, by Meik Skoss
● Famous Swordsmen of Japan, by Takefumi Hiiragi
● Heard in the Dojo
● The Book Page, by Diane Skoss
● Events & Announcements
Download the pdf file of Aikido Journal Number 100 by right clicking on this link
Note: The Table of Contents of this PDF file features clickable links. From the “Contents” page, simply click on the article title you would like to access to be taken immediately to the relevant page in the magazine.
Aikido Journal on DVD: “Chronicling Aikido’s Birth and Evolution!
Aikido Journal is now offering a DVD containing PDF versions of all 119 issues of Aiki News / Aikido Journal. This complete collection of magazines includes more than 4,300 pages, hundreds of articles and interviews, and thousands of images. In addition, there are bonuses featuring a PDF of Stanley Pranin’s “Encyclopedia of Aikido”, and a 4-hour audio lecture. This resource will keep every serious aikidoka busy for many months. But there is something more we would like to share with our readers to complement this information-packed DVD… Purchasers of the back issues DVD in physical or downloadable format will also receive a complimentary one-year subscription to the Aikido Journal Members Site. This offer for both the DVD and free 1-year subscription is $29.95 through Sunday, February 17.
* Note: a shipping & handling charge will be added for DVDs mailed to customers. There is no additional charge for those ordering the DVD in downloadable format.